, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

October 29, 2005

Blowing Red Lights

To blow the red light or not, some say the question of the century or the question of mere human existence. This although cut and dry is a tough one actually. I want some comments on this one, whether you pedal or not what is your view? I ride on the street about 99 percent of the time and 95 percent of the time I don't blow red lights. To show you what a good boy I am I don't even run red lights in the middle of the night when I am going to work, that could be 1,2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 a.m. or during the day (if I should be so lucky to get called to go to work in the sunlight.) Here is why I generally don't run red lights, when motorists see a bicyclist run a red light it absolutely enrages them. Motorists already subconsciously I think have guilt when they see a bicycle commuter and they are in their unsustainable death box. So when they see a bicyclist run a red light they may take out their frustrations on the next bicyclist they see on the street.

About a month ago I was sitting in line at a light on my bike and this guy came up behind me on his bike and did a weave in and out of traffic, cut off a car and ran the light. I just cringed because that makes me look really really bad. Now I am not defending people in death boxes by any means. I exert my own form of justice on motorist when they don't respect my right to the road.

In the middle of the night when I am sitting at a red light and there is absolutely nobody around to see me and the light has been red ofr like, I don't know... forever, I'll run it. Why, because well you know the sensors in the street are only designed for cars not bicycles (like some other cities.) What is your thought on the subject leave some comments, I am by no means going to get militant on your comment just looking for another view.

out

Comments on "Blowing Red Lights"

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com