, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

November 02, 2005

Probably A Good Reason Not To Blow Red Lights

The following is a letter to the editor that appeared in or local newspaper today (10/3). As I wrote a couple days ago it really looks bad on all of us when motorists see a bicyclist run a red light and disobey traffic laws in general.

I have been reading a lot of complaints from bicyclists about sharing the road. Well then, if that is the case, then the bicyclists should be held liable for all the laws that are broken, like running red lights, stop signs, riding at night with no headlight. Don't walk means what it says, don't walk.I drive for a living, and I can't count the times I have almost hit one of these bicyclists who don't feel they have to obey the laws of the road. If you can't be seen, then how can you be respected?I don't want to be the one who has to live with the memory of injuring someone, especially if it can be avoided.Kenneth H. Mason, Lincoln

After reading this do you think this guy probably has an already formed opinion of bicyclist? Do you think that because he probably is a little bent at bicyclist he may afford afford the room that a bicyclist deserves when he's passing? That is why I say I just cringe when I see a bicyclist blow a red light right in the view of people in death boxes. Taking it a bit further, I think a lot of people already are a bit disgusted with themselves subconsciously when they see a bicyclist and they are in their car 40 lbs. overweight. As a result they are going to be less tolerant of the bicycle rider. It would probably do us all good to think for a moment before running a red light that this may benifit us in the short term by getting through the light but in the long run your doing nothing at all for the idea of bicycle commuting.

out

UPDATE....Just as I published this post it dawned on me who this guy is. As I was writing I could not put my finger on the name but I knew it for some reason. This guy drives contract vans for the company I work for, I've been around him many time over the years. Just as I was saying above this guy, without a doubt will probably hold a grudge against bicyclist no matter what. First, he is not smart, so he would not be able to look at the big picture, next, I'm not kidding when I say he has a temper issue. Lastly, to prove my "temper issue" point, he's a convicted child beater.

Now that was fuck'n hot off the press huh?

Comments on "Probably A Good Reason Not To Blow Red Lights"

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com