, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

February 05, 2006

My Thoughts On Roe And The "Weaker Sex"

Last night I was watching one of the news channels and Tim Russert's Meet the Press was on. His guests were James Carville and Paul Begala. Together they authored "Take It Back" A blueprint for Democrats. Both of these guys are brilliant strategists in regard to politics and it was an interesting interview. Honestly it is probably not a book I will read, I've become rather picky when it comes to political books and I don't just read anything that comes down the pike.

Paul Begala was talking about the recent Supreme Court appointments and how the court is now leaning rather conservative. Paul Begala made a statement about the court and just a snippet of the sentence was "When the Supreme Court overturns Roe, and they will..." Hmmm rather surprising since it is coming from a very intelligent person who knows politics like the back of his hand.

Here is my thought and I touched on it briefly a few weeks ago. Women today are still looked at as weaker than men in many different aspects of life, men know best, men should make decisions for women. You have a bunch of crusty old white guys that are going to make a decision about what a woman can and can't do with her body (because men know best). I'm a firm believer that there is still a underlying effort to keep women down (look at Martha what a load of shit, crusty old white guys do that shit all the time and get away with it). What do you think would be the reaction if there was an effort to put a law on a man's body? There would be a damn coup d etat. See this is what I'm trying to convey to you. People who have no fucking business in the decision are going to go ahead and make the decision for the woman, because they know best and women are weak.

out

Comments on "My Thoughts On Roe And The "Weaker Sex""

 

Blogger budda43 said ... (2/06/2006 8:22 AM) : 

My wife and I both were staunch abortion advocates for a majority of our adult lives.

However, since the birth of our son eight months ago, our attitudes have changed considerably. I know this isn't the same for everyone, but just looking at the miracle of my son's existence - how every piece of him comes from some small piece of us - it is heartbraking to think that thousands of these miracles are being aborted every year.

I know that bringing children into the world doesn't guarantee them a peaceful existence, but never giving them a chance goes against the very basic values of human dignity and hope.

I agree that crusty old men shouldn't speak for women and their bodies. However, someone should speak for the unborn children.

Bike Mike, don't you think if the unborn child had the ability, it would choose to be born?

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (2/06/2006 8:45 AM) : 

Budda, thanks for the comment and it is a very well thought out one at that. I don't have kids so I do understand the idea of maaayyybe not having the full reality of it all (maybe). Your question at the end is a hypothetical one, generally not what I like but to be honest with you and myself, yes, I would assume that said child would choose to be born.

"someone has to speak for the unborn child" I just disagree with that idea, I think that it is nothing more than "talking points" we have loads of poeple who are already born that nobody speaks for (i.e. Darfur). Here is another thought, if Roe is overturned hey big deal jump in your car or hop a jet and go to Canada to get the abortion. Oh make that illegal... ok no problem just do it in the alley and have the woman bleed out behind the dumpster (and that is exactly what would happen).

Maybe we could fight this fight on a different plain, in some way try and curb the amount of abortions with some form of support system until birth when the kid can be adopted??? maybe, I don't know.

I do know this though, it is absolutly wrong when men put laws on women's bodies. The reverse would NEVER and could NEVER happen.

Budda I absolutly respect your opinion and I enjoy your comments, have a great day!

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (2/06/2006 9:00 AM) : 

Let me just add this quickly, folks you will notice that Budda and I disagree on this topic. Mr. Budda and I can disagree but we do not bash each other, I can not tell you how refreshing that is.

I write this because yesterday someone posted a comment who without a shadow of a doubt disagreed with a post, at that point they bashed my post and then made a personal attack on me. In my response I was stern but not disrespectful.

I realize I'm very to the point and rather "sharp" that is just how I am and I like that about myself. Rest assured if you post a comment as long as you are respectful I would never attack you.

out

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com