, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

March 29, 2006

Bible bang'n Georgia

To this day I'm still at a loss as to why it's ok to discuss and or teach religion in public schools. Georgia currently has a bill on the way to the Governor's desk for signing that would approve an elective bible course in school. I don't get it I just don't.

The elective courses, according to the bill, are to "be taught in an objective and nondevotional manner with no attempt made to indoctrinate students," and should "not disparage or encourage a commitment to a set of religious beliefs."

What the hell is that? Sounds like church school to me, sounds like church school in public school actually. Evidently courts have ruled that bible courses are legal under the Constitution... Bible courses, let's just call it what it really is Sunday school in public schools. I'm still trying to figure out the reasoning behind why that is allowable under the Constitution but I guess it is...I guess.

Look, I'm not a religious person in the least, I can't stand religion. If someone wants to have their children taught the "ways of the bible" then send them to private school. Get it the hell out of my tax funded public school. "Oh but the class is an elective"....don't care, get it out of my schools.

Here is a thought, should said classes begin do you think that it is proper for American tax dollars to be buying bibles that are to be placed in public class rooms? Honestly, if you lived in Georgia do you think that it would be proper that your taxes were buying bibles? I think that it is important that lines are not blurred on subjects such as this because what may be next? The State Government that pushed for the classes now feel emboldened what may they propose next in the way of religion or anything for that matter. Once you cross certain lines it's hard to return.

Hoping I get raptured today

out



Comments on "Bible bang'n Georgia"

 

Blogger budda43 said ... (3/29/2006 7:09 AM) : 

Hmmm...

State funded colleges (which basically are 100% elective classes if you consider that attending college is not mandatory) offer a wide array of religous educational opportunities. These are mostly 18-24 year olds who have the competence and intelligence to practice discernment in what they choose to believe or not. I do not find it so hard to believe that a 16-18 year old could not also practice such discernment. Religion professors are paid through state funds (not all of it comes from tuition, I assure you) so I can't raise a whole lot of cane on that front either. States are already endorsing religion in their universities every day.

The worst case scenario here (if you're an atheist, agnostic, or otherwise religously impaired) is that your children face an indirect exposure to religion. No one would be required to take the course and as such, students who are adversed to relgion would only be exposed by seeing the class in they're course catalog.

The best case scenario would be that students of all religions (or lack thereof) could come together and discuss the themes of the Bible in an intellectually and emotionally stimulating fashion. Minds could be opened, beliefs could be questioned, knowledge could be obtained.

Although I can't believe I'm saying this - I really find very little wrong with this whole thing.

Hmph. Okay, Mike - lemme have it (*wincing*).

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (3/29/2006 6:10 PM) : 

Budda thanks for posting, I'll never "let you have it." You always have very welcomed additions.

Your certainly correct in regard to universities offering forms of religious classes as well as tax funded professors. In my opinion it's wrong, Professors who teach those classes should be paid with private money.

I guess my big problem with the issue is not that I'm against religion, it's the fact that human nature dictates that when someone gets a little bit they always want more. What I mean by this is Georgia is now going to have elective religious classes in public schools, what's next, mandatory religion in public schools? Religion is a very personal thing and I think that it should just be left out of public schools. If someone wants their kid to have more religion in their lives send them to church school after school.

I just find it really really weird that in a public school there is going to be a rack in the corner with a bunch of bibles on it.

Given human nature what it is, what's next field trips to a church, or maybe baptism in the drinking fountain? (that last one was just a little zinger for you budda.)

Look, if you think this is the end of this little tale your wrong. Again people now feel empowered to take it to the next level (don't think for a second they're not.)

Thanks Budda have a nice evening.

out

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com