, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

April 18, 2006

Remember, Lincoln hates cyclists

I just finished reading a thought provoking article from our local college rag. The article talked about bicycle and pedestrian safety as well as the laws that pertain to all forms of transportation whether on the street or in the crosswalk. Lincoln folks, did you know that it was illegal to ride a bike through a crosswalk? What's more did you know that if a car hits you in a crosswalk while you have the "walk" sign it's still your fault? Well if that is not the biggest load of crap, actually I've known that for some time now. That little aspect of the law is nothing more that a tid bit to further insolate the motorist from liability should they hit a cyclist.

I pose this question, are people on roller blades pedestrians or are they considered cyclist? Do they have to stop and take off their blades when using a crosswalk? If they fall under the "pedestrian" definition that is crap too because I have far more control over a bicycle that someone has over their blades. Like I've said before, don't think for a second that Lincoln is even a little progressive this only proves it.

It disgusts me that as a cyclist I am considered second class by our local government even though I do very little wear and tear on the city streets, don't contribute to air and noise pollution and certainly I cut down on congestion. Budda I know you live in a city that is a bit more bicycle friendly, twin cities I believe...right? What is your thought, why are the people more excepting up there than here?

out

Comments on "Remember, Lincoln hates cyclists"

 

Blogger budda43 said ... (4/18/2006 8:05 AM) : 

I'm not exactly in the twin cities but am nearby -

I'm not sure of why cyclists are treated "better" up north. I use the quotes because cyclists are generally treated fairly crappy everywhere.

I think the pity factor has a lot to do with it. There's nothing like watching a person ride through 4 inches of icy snow in a sleet storm to make you feel guilty about idling your Hummer at a red light.

I guess my answer is that I don't know. People here don't seem any more friendly than anywhere else I lived. I bet that Velocipete or Gundog99 would know.

 

Anonymous Barbara said ... (4/24/2006 11:48 PM) : 

Cyclists aren't safe on the sidewalk - they move faster than a pedestrian can, and cars aren't looking for something moving that fast in a pedestrian area. Check out http://ninthorder.com/~michael for a really good explanation. Basically, if you're riding on the sidewalk, YOU are making yourself a second-class citizen, segregating yourself from cars. Remember, bicycles ARE traffic. Be seen using the road like any other vehicle. Make the cars treat you as a legitimate user of the road!

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (4/25/2006 9:29 AM) : 

Barbara, thanks for the comment. I agree, cyclists do much better on the street than they do on the sidewalk. To make my position a bit more clear I am pretty much refering to crosswalks that connect bike trails. There are major bike trails all over the city that are used by hundreds of people each week. As a result of regressive city law, when using said bike trail your rights are restricted while crossing the street in a crosswalk.

I was not as clear as I could have been in the post although sidewalks are for community be it walking, biking, skating or whatever. It could not be woven into American life any more the idea of using sidewalks to get to your destination. Sidewalks connect neighborhoods, neighbors and community in general.

Thanks Barbara.....Cycling Nomad of Truth....out

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com