, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

May 14, 2006

Bike shop observations

For the longest time I did not purchase a whole lot of bike parts, now with several bikes I do buy some stuff. In the past I did most of my purchase through mail order instead of the LBS. Why you may ask, let me tell you one instance that comes to mind. I walked into one of our local bike shops because I needed an XT something or other, XT being the operative word... or maybe letters, whatever. This little bitch of a high school kid tried up selling me to XTR when that is not what I wanted or needed. He probably figured I did not know much because I was not spandex clad and might not have looked like I knew what I was talking about. There was absolutely no reason to go with XTR, not a close price with the XT or it was on sale, nothing. I leaned over the counter looked him in the eye and told him that I have been riding mountain bikes since they first came out and he was still in diapers and I was taken back that he was trying to up sell me and he did not know what he was talking about anyway. I walked out at that point.

I will never step foot in any of these shops again that sport dumb ass brats trying to up sell me. Fortunately I have an alternative Monkey Wrench (link to the left) opened in 2004. Eric and Nate can answer any question I have I'm glad they have the shop, I'm glad they are doing well and they were so busy yesterday I told Eric I'd come back in a couple days to order up a bunch of stuff for Sam's Bianchi (he had to look it all up which would take some time.) Christ I keep complementing these two guys they are going to end up getting all cocky and shit.

out

Comments on "Bike shop observations"

 

Blogger Filemore said ... (5/18/2006 7:58 AM) : 

Another comparison between shopping at Ideal Grovery and at HyVee.

You know what i mean.

Excellent customer service goes a long way, and it comes from an attitude that is excellent from the owners of said stores.

I could never speak higher of the competence of Nate and Eric. They have their shop going in the right direction.

 

Blogger Filemore said ... (5/18/2006 8:00 AM) : 

Sorry...

Another Comparison:...

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (5/18/2006 4:44 PM) : 

Butch-a roonies, well said. We don't buy every bit of our groceries from Ideal but I buy everything there that I take to work with me which is some pretty good coin. It's nice too that it's a 5 minute bike ride from my house.

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com