, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

May 09, 2006

I ride lugged steel and I vote

I just got back from voting a little while ago. Politics aside I'll get down to the meat of one of the two bond proposals that were up for vote. There was a proposal to build a South beltway linear park Someday in the future paralleling a proposed interstate thing running along the South side of our city that is still on the drawing board. What Lincoln wants to do is build a long narrow park paralleling said road. OK fair enough that would be great lots of trials and all kinds of things to do with the family. This park has been on the drawing board for years evidently, so has the massive build up of very expensive homes on the same side of Lincoln that this park is to be built.

I voted against this proposed park. Why you ask? First, this park is going to be paid for by a property tax increase, be it small but it's the principal of it and our local government needs to learn not to go to the citizens of Lincoln for every little project they want. Second, Why is not one cent of the 2.7 million going to the improvement of parks within Lincoln where some folks such as poor home owners on the North side of Lincoln are able to enjoy them? Speaking of the North side, I would imagine for someone on the far north side that has their property tax increased for the park would have to drive what... 12 to 14 miles to enjoy the linear park. That is crap. Next, I find it interesting that this great and exciting park is being built on the South side where all the rich folk are. Two things, 1) this park has been planned for years. 2) so have the big homes in the same area. I'm lead to believe that this park was designed for the rich folk instead of the damn pesky poor saps.

I will not under any circumstances accept the idea that $1.60 a year for 20 years per house is nothing. There are indeed poor home owners that exist. Not everyone who owns a home can be considered middle class. I will not ignore the poor, I will always be thinking of them and vote often in their best interests because generally they have the toughest lives. I think I can ride my upper middle class $3,000 mountain bike someplace else in the interest of using critical thinking when it comes to local government "needs" and the needs of the working poor.

You know I work many many hours a week, often I have lots and lots of down time while I'm at work. What do I think about the most? The poor. I think about the poor and how tough their lives can be, be it their fault or just victims of circumstance. As far as I'm concerned the city of Lincoln can take that $1.60 a year for 20 years and keister it for all I care.

Power to the poor, power to the people be a critical thinker.

Comments on "I ride lugged steel and I vote"

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com