, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

May 07, 2006

Is your horn your safety blanket?

My wife and I enjoy sitting on our porch. We live in a bungalow style house so we have a pretty damn cool porch. Our neighborhood is nice and quit, pretty much a great deal all around. Here is what I don't get... When we sit on our porch I continually hear horns honking. Why do people feel that it is necessary to leave the "confirm honk" enabled on their car when they hit the lock button on their remote? I honestly don't get it. Does the "confirm honk" make you feel better? Does it make you feel safer?

The "confirm honk" in my mind is nothing but a total nuisance, an unfortunate addition to noise pollution only made worse because it's coming from an automobile. When my wife and I travel and we at time rent a car one of the first things I do is disable the "confirm honk." I don't want to hear the car making noise and if others actually thought about it for a minute they would not want to hear it either.

One might say that I'm being rather anal about this. Am I? I think there are certain things we can do without in life and in our neighborhoods such as the dreaded "confirm honk." I guess all in all does honking your horn to lock your doors honestly enrich your life? Does this practice actually make your life better since you KNOW for sure that your doors are locked?

Here is my thought... if you NEED the confirm honk, your a pussy, disable the honk (every car has the option), grow up and act like an adult and feel comfortable with the idea that yes indeed your doors are locked.

out

Comments on "Is your horn your safety blanket?"

 

Blogger budda43 said ... (5/08/2006 7:48 AM) : 

My wife does the confirm honk, not because she needs the confirmation, but because she knows it drives me crazy and she thinks it is funny.

I promise never to disagree with anything you say ever again if you'll kindly post a "how-to" on disabling that blasted thing. :)

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (5/09/2006 4:26 AM) : 

Budda, usually there is a "settings" button on the dash and hitting that will bring you to the option (I've never seen a car without the option of disabling the honker thing).

Jesus I'm tired I'm going to bed.

out

 

Blogger Nathan said ... (5/15/2006 9:14 AM) : 

That button must be something they added at the turn of the century. My '96 and '98 Japanese cars required obscure key sequences to disable the honk. Note, however, that I found it entirely worth the trouble to disable the damn thing - twice, even!

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com