, , ,

pedalsandpolitics[at]gmail

Name:
Location: 40 dgrs. 48' 26.34" N, 96 dgrs. 40' 05.96" W, United States

Liberal bicycle commuter, political junkie, policy junkie, free thinker, I've got too many titles. All in all I'll leave it with a quote from the late Senator Paul Wellstone of Minn. "Politics is not about big money and power games, it's about the improvment of peoples lives."

|

May 14, 2006

Viewing car culture from my porch

Since it's graduation time and since my neighborhood is chucked full of kids naturally there are going to be some graduation parties going on. With graduation parties come guests, with guests comes cars, with cars comes what I like to call the "circle the block 4 fucking times to find a space routine." My wife and I were out in the front yard hanging out with the next door neighbor actually I was just the innocent shmuck that was the butt of two female's jokes (guy bashing.) As we were standing there all these people where showing up for a graduation party a few doors down. First observation... every automobile was either a SUV or a mini van, which is worse I don't know. People are circling the block over and over again trying to find just the perfect spot to park their kid hauler so that little Timmy does not have to walk 5 feet more that necessary. When they finally find a spot it takes them 5 tries to parellel park. Back and fourth, back and forth, it's like a bad dance.

To top it off you have all these high school kids showing up in their nice new parent purchased cars and they are turning around in the middle of the street doing curb shots on the bumpers and then finally trying to back in to a spot and running the aluminum wheels down the curb. This is something I've noticed for a while the whole "kids can't drive worth a crap thing." When I was learning to drive or after I had gotten my license if my father would have noticed ripped up aluminum wheels or something close... he would have taken the keys away because that would have showed I am not able to even park a car (he would have done this without a doubt.) Further, my father taught me to parallel park in one day, never had a problem after that. What the hell is the problem these days?

I think if one actually sits and observes a insane practice as the whole jockeying your car around thing you really start to think "this is nuts." From a society point of view it's almost embarrassing when you witness this. My wife and I rode our bikes through all of this mess to go up the street and get a little BB-Q and we did not have to back up once.

out

Comments on "Viewing car culture from my porch"

 

Blogger Treadly&Me said ... (5/15/2006 1:22 AM) : 

I particularly enjoy watching this at shopping malls - people in big cars prowling around the rows of carpark nearest the door while two rows away acres of parking space goes begging. Not only can't people park, they can't walk an extra 50 yards.

 

Blogger Bicycle Commuter Mike said ... (5/15/2006 7:47 PM) : 

treadly, I know it's nuts. I'm serious I'm truly embarassed for socity when I see things like this.

 

post a comment
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com